Carvoeiro is a beautiful seaside town situated in the Algarve region of Portugal. Known for its stunning beaches, crystal clear waters and breathtaking cliffs, Carvoeiro is a popular holiday destination that attracts visitors from all over the world. It’s popular with families and couples, groups of friends and solo travellers. As Carvoeiro really does have something to offer everyone, it appeals to a wide range of holidaymakers. However, this can make it difficult to decide what to do when you are there. If you’re only in Carvoeiro for a short time, you need to prioritise the key things to do in the area. Instead of spending time exploring the wider Algarve region, focus your time on getting the most out of Carvoeiro.
Though a lot of people head to Carvoeiro for a week or two, some only have a short weekend in the area. Luckily, if this is the case, you will still have enough time to explore this beautiful Algarve town. Below, we have taken a look at what you can do for 48 hours in Carvoeiro.
Key Things to Know About Carvoeiro (Even if You’re Only There For a Night or Two!)
- Location and Getting There – Carvoeiro is located in the western part of the Algarve region, only a short distance from Faro, the regional capital and the closest airport. The town is easily accessible by car, with a large road passing through the town. The nearest airport is Faro Airport, which is well connected to major European cities with regular flights from budget airlines. There are also regular bus services from Faro to Carvoeiro, as well as taxi and private transfer services. This means that if you are only spending 48 hours in Carvoeiro, you won’t waste too much time travelling from A to B.
- Beaches – Carvoeiro is renowned for its stunning beaches, with golden sand and clear blue waters. The main beach in the town, Praia de Carvoeiro, is a small and sheltered cove that is perfect for swimming and sunbathing. It is surrounded by cliffs, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby where you can enjoy a refreshing drink or a delicious meal. There are also many other beaches in the area that are worth a visit. Some are small and secluded beaches that can only be reached through a tunnel in the cliffs. There are also long, sandy beaches that are perfect for families with children, as there are plenty of facilities nearby. If you are only in Carvoeiro for a short time, make a point of visiting the beaches, as they really are something special.
- Nature and Hiking – Carvoeiro is surrounded by stunning natural scenery, with cliffs and hills that offer breathtaking views of the sea and the coastline. The cliff top walk from Carvoeiro to Algar Seco is a must do for anyone who loves hiking and nature. There are also many other hiking trails in the area that you can explore. Even if you aren’t a keen hiker, it’s worthwhile finding time in your busy schedule to explore some of Carvoeiro’s great outdoors. There’s no shortage of beautiful views, scenery and greenery.
- Food and Drink – Carvoeiro has a wide range of restaurants, cafes and bars, offering a variety of cuisine and drinks. Seafood is a specialty in the region, and local food isn’t hard to find. There are also many traditional Portuguese dishes to try, such as the famous bacalhau and cozido. The town has a lively nightlife, with many bars and clubs staying open late into the night. There are also many cafes and pastry shops where you can enjoy a coffee or a sweet treat. During your short time in Carvoeiro, explore the area at night and see why it’s a hotspot for tourists. Whether you’re heading out for dinner or drinks, Carvoeiro does not disappoint.
- Golfing – Carvoeiro is a popular destination for golfers, with many world class golf courses in the area. A lot of fantastic golf courses are only a short drive away, and they all offer a challenging and enjoyable golfing experience. This means you can golf in Carvoeiro, regardless of how much experience you have. There is also the Vale do Milho Golf Course, which is a 9 hole course that is perfect for anyone who wants to tick golfing off their list during their short time in Carvoeiro.
- Attractions and Activities – Carvoeiro has many attractions and activities to offer visitors. There are theme parks, water parks, cinemas, shopping centres, watersports and parks. Boat trips are also popular in the region, and they’re a great way to see Carvoeiro from another perspective. Even if you are only in Carvoeiro for 48 hours, find time in your schedule to do an attraction or activity. A lot of these can be booked and planned in advance, and it’s a great way to experience some of the main tourist attractions in the area.
As you can see, going to Carvoeiro for only 48 hours certainly won’t stop you from enjoying everything that the area has to offer. Though you might not have time to see and do it all, you will have time to get an overview of what a holiday in Carvoeiro is all about. It’s a good idea to choose one or two ‘must do’ activities, and then leave room for whatever else you come across. As long as you check out the beautiful beaches and the local cuisine, you can leave Carvoeiro knowing that you made the most of the little time that you had. You can always save anything that you don’t have time for, and book another trip.