When you are planning a trip to Carvoeiro, there are a few things to think about. You need to think about when you want to go; will you head there in the height of summer, or are you planning a winter break? You need to think about where you will stay; will you book a private apartment or do you want to stay in a hotel? You will also need to think about how you will get around. For a lot of people, car hire is a key part of their holiday planning. This is because having a car in Carvoeiro certainly makes things easier.
However, you don’t need a car in Carvoeiro, not if you don’t want one. Though having a car makes it easier to explore the Algarve and beautiful beaches, there are other ways of getting from one place to another in Carvoeiro. It’s really a case of weighing up the pros and cons of each.
The Pros of Having a Car in Carvoeiro
There are a number of benefits that come with having a car in Carvoeiro, some of which we have listed below.
- You Won’t be Affected by Delays – Though public transport in Portugal is generally reliable, there is always the chance of a delay. You could find that a bus is cancelled or delayed, or that your tax doesn’t turn up at the right time. When you have a car, this is all in your hands. With careful planning, you shouldn’t have to face any annoying delays or hold ups.
- You Can Go Anywhere, at Any Time – There are certainly other transport options available in Carvoeiro, but they aren’t quite as flexible as having your own car. With access to a car, you can go anywhere you want to go, at any time. You don’t have to rely on public transport timetables or taxis being available, nor do you have to only choose places on specific bus routes or without a short taxi ride. With a car, you really can explore as much of the Algarve as you want.
- You Don’t Have to Navigate Public Transport – Public transport in the Algarve is straightforward, but it’s always difficult to navigate a new public transport system at first. This is even more troublesome when you factor in the language barrier. With a car, this isn’t something you need to give a second thought to. As long as you have a rough idea of where you are going – or at least have a map to guide you – driving in Carvoeiro is as easy as driving at home.
- It’s Easy to Estimate the Cost of Car Hire – Before hiring a car, you will know exactly what it’s going to cost you. It’s also easy to estimate fuel prices for the time that you will be away, depending on how far you are planning to go. It’s not quite as easy to estimate the cost of taxis in Carvoeiro, as there are a lot of things to factor in. If you are planning a holiday to Carvoeiro and you have a set budget in mind, car hire is the easiest option to budget for. Buses and taxis in Carvoeiro are by no means extortionately priced, but using them every day as a family does add up.
- It’s Easy to Get Around With Kids – Even if your children are used to taxis and buses at home, there is no denying that it’s a lot easier to get from A to B when you’re in a car. You can all bundle in, sit back and wait to arrive at your destination. There is no waiting for a bus, or walking to a bus stop, or hoping to find a taxi that you can all fit in. Having a car in Carvoeiro is the preferred choice for a lot of families, simply because it tends to be easier with little ones.
Can You Holiday in Carvoeiro Without a Car?
A lot of people make the mistake of assuming that holidaying in Carvoeiro requires a car. Though this is true in some instances – if you are planning to do a lot of exploring, having a car does make that a lot easier – it’s not mandatory. It’s entirely possible to enjoy a holiday in Carvoeiro without access to a vehicle.
When you are holidaying in Carvoeiro, it’s a good idea to do a little bit of research beforehand. This will help you to determine whether or not you need a car. If you are planning to stay in Carvoeiro, or you only plan to venture to nearby towns, then you could rely on buses and taxis. There are a lot of taxis in Carvoeiro and bus routes are readily available, which makes travelling in the local area extremely simple. However, if you plan to venture further afield, you might benefit from having access to your own vehicle.
The Algarve has a lot of tourist attractions and destinations for holidaymakers to enjoy, and these are easiest to access by car. Though you could alway take a taxi or bus, it’s certainly a lot more convenient to drive yourself around.
Car Hire Options in Carvoeiro
If you are holidaying in Carvoeiro, the chances are you will fly into Faro Airport. This airport is only a short distance from Carvoeiro, and travelling between the two is easy. There are a lot of car hire options in Faro, and vehicles can be collected from the airport. So, hiring a car for your time in Carvoeiro is a simple and straightforward task. You can collect a car upon arrival, use it for the duration of your trip, and return it before you head home. Though this obviously comes at a cost, it does give you the freedom to explore the Algarve at your leisure.