We can all agree that travelling can be expensive, especially if you’re heading abroad with a family and you have a lot of activities planned. There are a lot of ways to cut the cost of your holiday, and one of these is travelling with hand luggage only. Travelling with only hand luggage can be a great way to save time and money, especially if you’re taking a short trip or flying with a budget airline. However, packing light can be a challenge, and it’s easy to end up with a bag that is too heavy or full. This can make your trip an inconvenience, especially when it comes to lugging multiple bags from A to B. To avoid this, you can opt to do hand luggage only. Fortunately, there are plenty of hacks that can help you make hand luggage travel easier.
How to Make ‘Hand Luggage Only’ Travel Easier
There are a range of ways to make hand luggage only easier, and we have listed some of the best ways below. By taking note of these hacks, you will find it easier to pack using just a hand luggage bag for your time in Portugal.
- Choose the Right Bag – The first step to successful hand luggage only travel is choosing the right bag. Look for a lightweight, durable bag that is within the airline’s size restrictions. This can vary from airline to airline, so make sure to check beforehand. Ideally, it should also have wheels and a comfortable handle to make it easy to manoeuvre through airports and train stations. Backpacks can be a great option if you’re travelling to more remote or rugged destinations, as they are more versatile and easier to carry. There are a lot of hand luggage bags out there, so you won’t be short of choice.
- Pack Smart – When packing for a hand luggage only trip, it’s important to pack smart. Choose clothes that are versatile and can be mixed and matched to create different outfits. Avoid packing items that are bulky or heavy, like thick jumpers or big coats, unless you’re travelling to a very cold destination. Instead, opt for lighter layers that can be added or removed depending on the weather. Roll your clothes instead of folding them to save space, and use packing cubes to keep everything organised. Though packing smart does take a little more effort than packing usually, it’s an effective way of making sure that you can fit as much as possible.
- Maximise Your Personal Item – Most airlines allow you to bring a small personal item in addition to your hand luggage, like a backpack, purse or laptop bag. Take advantage of this by packing items that wouldn’t fit in your main bag, like a book, a tablet or a small pillow. You could also pack a change of clothes or any other essentials that you might need during the flight, like medications or snacks. A lot of people forget to make the most out of their personal item, and end up with a bag that’s half empty.
- Wear Your Heaviest Items – One of the easiest ways to save space in your hand luggage is to wear your heaviest items on the plane. This could be a bulky jumper, a thick jacket, or a pair of heavy boots. Not only will this save you space in your bag, but it will also keep you warm and comfortable during the flight. Just be sure to dress in layers so you can remove or add clothes as needed. Though you might be tempted to pack your heavy items so you don’t have to carry them, this will take up a lot more space, and could prevent you from packing other essentials.
- Use Travel Sized Toiletries – Toiletries can take up a lot of space in your hand luggage, especially if you’re packing full sized bottles. Instead, opt for travel sized toiletries, which are much smaller and more compact. You can buy these at most beauty shops or online, and they’re available in everything from shampoo and conditioner to toothpaste and deodorant. If you’re staying in a hotel or Airbnb, check to see if they provide toiletries, as this can save you even more space. This is also beneficial for packing toiletries that are within the airline’s safety limits.
In conclusion, hand luggage only travel can be a great way to save time and money, but it does require some planning and preparation. By choosing the right bag, packing smart, maximising your personal item, wearing your heaviest items, and using travel sized toiletries, you’ll be able to pack light and make the most of your trip. If you are travelling to the Algarve, you can save even more room by buying a lot of items once you arrive. This will give you more space in your bag for other items, and you don’t have to worry about your bag being too heavy. So, next time you are planning a short trip or flying with a budget airline, try these hacks and see how much easier hand luggage only travel can be.
One of the great things about choosing Portugal as your holiday destination is that it’s only a short flight time. This means you can quickly pack, hop on a plane and arrive in a sunny climate. It’s also ideal for short trips – such as a long weekend or a few days during the week – so it’s likely that a large suitcase isn’t necessary.