A family holiday is a great opportunity to spend time together and relax; you can enjoy quality time as a group, without the stresses and strains of life at home. However, you cannot simply book the first holiday you come across and hope that it’s family friendly. This might be okay if you are travelling with adults or older teenagers, but travelling with children does require some careful planning. Otherwise, you could find yourself abroad and wishing you had made more of an effort to ensure your trip was a family friendly one.
Luckily, the Algarve is a very family friendly destination. It has everything you could need as a family on holiday, including tonnes to see and do for little ones. Of course, this doesn’t mean that your holiday will automatically be family friendly if you choose the Algarve. It just means that you are choosing a destination that makes family friendly holidays a viable option.
Things You Can Do to Make an Algarve Holiday Ideal for the Whole Family
There are a lot of things that you can do to make your Algarve holiday a great one for the whole family, some of which we have listed below. Even if you like to keep things simply and spontaneous, it’s always a good idea to make your holiday as family friendly as possible.
- Plan Your Trip Well – Make sure that you have enough time to properly prepare for your trip. This includes researching the destination, booking flights and accommodations, and packing. All of this should be done with the family in mind. When you are choosing flights, think about flight times that work for your family’s schedule. When you are choosing accommodation, think about options that cater to your family’s needs.
- Pack Properly – Though the Algarve does boast reliable weather, you don’t want to be caught short during your time away. This is why you should pack clothes that will be appropriate for both warm weather and cooler days; pack extra clothes in case of spills or lost items; pack toiletries for everyone in the family; pack snacks for long car rides or plane rides; pack games and activities that will keep everyone entertained in the evening.
- Think About Your Budget – One of the most important things to think about when you are planning your Algarve holiday is the budget. When you are travelling as a family, you have a lot of people to take into account. Ensure that you have enough to keep everyone happy for the entire duration of your trip. If you are on a strict budget, let everyone know beforehand so they know what to expect.
- Create an Itinerary – There is certainly no shortage of things to see and do in the Algarve, which could be overwhelming if you have lots of people all wanting to do different things. This is why creating an itinerary beforehand can be helpful. You don’t have to plan everything day by day, but having a rough idea of what you want to do is helpful. This way, you won’t forget to visit an attraction, and no one will be disappointed if you run out of time for a specific beach.
- Relax, Relax and Relax – A lot of people feel the pressure to make every holiday the best one yet, but this can sometimes backfire. Instead of worrying about what you should be doing, go with the flow and do whatever is best for your family. If everyone is tired one evening, consider having a casual dinner and avoiding formal restaurants. If everyone wants a relaxing day at the beach, consider leaving a tourist attraction until another day. One of the easiest ways to make an Algarve holiday family friendly is to simply go along with what everyone else wants to do.
Is the Algarve a Good Holiday Destination for Families?
Yes, there is no denying that the Algarve is a good holiday destination for families of all shapes and sizes. Whether you are travelling with toddlers or older teens, there is something for everyone in the Algarve. This is why so many families head to the region each and every year. So, what is it that makes the Algarve such a great holiday destination for families?
It’s a lot to do with the fact that the Algarve has safe beaches, lots of family friendly restaurants and an abundance of outside activities. You won’t find yourself cooped up for long periods of time with the kids, nor will you run out of things to see and do. You really can spend a lot of time in the Algarve, without feeling the need to venture too much further afield.
There are also a lot of accommodation options in the Algarve, meaning that finding family friendly places to stay is a breeze. A lot of families opt for private apartments and private villas, as these give you space to spread out and relax. They also have kitchens, which is ideal if the thought of eating out every night with young children fills you with dread. You will also find a lot of hotels in the Algarve, the majority of which are designed with kids in mind.
With a little bit of research, you will soon see why families love to head to the Algarve on holiday. Though there are a tonne of fantastic destinations in Europe, many of which are elsewhere in Portugal itself, there is no getting away from the fact that the Algarve really does have it all. The beautiful beaches, attractions, activities and reliable weather is enough to keep any family visiting time and time again.