There are a lot of holiday destinations out there, many of which are perfect places to visit as a family. Whether you are travelling with teenagers or young children, choosing a family friendly holiday destination is key. For a lot of people, Portugal is the ideal place to visit. In this blog, we take a look at why Portugal should be your next family holiday destination.
Reasons to Visit Portugal as a Family
Portugal is a beautiful and vibrant country with a rich culture and stunning landscapes. This isn’t something that you will find everywhere that you visit. From the bustling cities of Lisbon and Porto to the picturesque villages of the Algarve, Portugal has something for everyone. This includes families travelling with children of all ages, from toddlers to teenagers. Visiting Portugal is an unforgettable experience that will stay with you forever, and it’s somewhere that people return to year after year. From adventure seekers to foodies to culture enthusiasts, Portugal really does appeal to the masses, but it manages to do this whilst keeping its relaxed and picturesque elements.
Whether you are looking for an exciting holiday or a peaceful getaway, Portugal has it all. Here are some of the reasons why you should visit Portugal as a family from the UK.
- Experience its Unique Culture – From traditional Portuguese music and dances to the delicious cuisine and vibrant nightlife, there is plenty of culture to experience in Portugal. It’s a great place to go if you want to expose your family to something a little bit different. They can try a new type of food and listen to a new style of music, and they can get to know an entire new culture. There’s a language to learn and locals to interact with, not to mention the wonderful landscape. Portugal is a place unlike any other, and it’s somewhere that your family will remember for many years.
- Take in the Stunning Landscape – If there is one thing that Portugal has an abundance of, it’s stunning landscapes. Regardless of where you go in Portugal, you won’t be short of beautiful scenery and views to enjoy. From lush forests to rocky coastline and sandy beaches, there is no shortage of landscape to enjoy in Portugal. This means that you really can tailor your holiday to suit your preferences. If you like to be by the sea, there are beaches to explore. If you like to be in the countryside, enjoy the greenery and hills.
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities – With its mild climate, gorgeous beaches and mountains, Portugal offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, biking, kayaking and surfing. Whether you are an adrenaline junkie or you simply don’t like being stuck indoors, you will find an outdoor activity to suit you. This is ideal if you are travelling with an energetic family, as you won’t find yourself having to stay at the beach all day. You can get up, go out and burn off some steam.
- Sample Local Delicacies – Good food can be found around the world, but none of it comes close to Portugal. Portuguese cuisine is known for its fresh seafood dishes, as well as traditional specialties like pastel de nata. There really is something for everyone, even picky eaters and children. You can head to a local restaurant and sample some of what the locals like to eat, or you can visit somewhere that’s aimed at tourists and families. Either way, you certainly won’t be short of food to eat, and you won’t struggle to find somewhere that works for your family.
- Enjoy the Reliable Weather – A lot of holiday destinations have good weather, but there’s always the chance of a rainy or stormy day. Though this can happen in Portugal, it’s a country with reliable weather for most of the year. This means that you can head to Portugal at any point, knowing that you are likely to experience blue skies and sunshine. Portugal, though warm in the summer, boasts a comfortable heat. This makes it manageable for children and families, and you shouldn’t find yourself running to air conditioned shops to escape the heat.
- Quick Flight Time – There are a lot of family holiday destinations to choose from, but a lot of them involve lengthy flights and a lot of travel. When you choose Portugal, this isn’t something that you need to worry about. You can hop on a plane from the UK, and arrive in Portugal within an hour or two. It’s one of the quickest and easiest destinations to get to, which is especially beneficial if you are travelling with young children who get restless in the air.
- Multiple Destinations to Choose From – You will have a lot of choice of where to go in Portugal, as there are multiple holiday destinations. A lot of families choose the Algarve, as it has everything a family could need in a holiday. But, there are also cities and remote towns to explore. You might want to explore Lisbon, the country’s capital or somewhere off the beaten track.
- Choose from Various Accommodation – Portugal also has the benefit of having a lot of different accommodation options, ranging from hotels to camping. It doesn’t matter if you want to go on a self catering holiday or somewhere all inclusive, you will find exactly what you are looking for in Portugal.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons to choose Portugal as your holiday destination. It has everything you need as a family, including activities and beaches, great weather and delicious food.