Carvoeiro is a beautiful seaside village in the Algarve region of Portugal. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and it attracts travellers from far and wide. This has a lot to do with the fact that Carvoeiro has a lot to offer tourists and holidaymakers, regardless of the type of trip you are planning. There are activities for families and those with young children, as well as for solo travellers and older couples. It doesn’t matter if you are looking for a slow and relaxing break, or a holiday filled with attractions and excitement, you will quickly find that Carvoeiro has something for everyone.
Top Things to See and Do in Carvoeiro
With so much to see and do in Carvoeiro, you might struggle to know where to start. To ensure you don’t go home having missed out one one of the key activities to do in the area, we have listed six of the things that everyone should do in Carvoeiro.
- Enjoy a Beach Day at Carvoeiro Beach – If you know anything about the Algarve, you will know that it’s home to some of Europe’s best beaches. Many of these can be found close to Carvoeiro, and Carvoeiro Beach certainly takes the top spot. It’s conveniently located close to the main hub of Carvoeiro and it boasts everything you need for a relaxing, tranquil and enjoyable day at the beach. Whether you have children who want to splash around in the sea or you want to unwind with a book, Carvoeiro Beach does not disappoint.
- Have a Day Out at Zoo Marine and Amusement Park – The Zoo Marine and Amusement Park in Carvoeiro is the ideal family day out. It boasts marine mammals, birds, dolphin presentations, sea lions, seals and lots of souvenir shops. Plus, there are a tonne of water activities to enjoy such as water slides, rapids and a wave pool. It’s the perfect way to make the most of the beautiful Carvoeiro weather, whilst staying cool. With so much to do, you can certainly spend an entire day at Zoo Marine and Amusement Park.
- Explore Carvoeiro Boardwalk – If you enjoy hiking and long walks, take the time to explore Carvoeiro Boardwalk. There are a lot of beautiful walkways in Carvoeiro, but Carvoeiro Boardwalk is undeniably one of the best. It boasts incredible scenery and lookouts, and it really gives you an insight into what the area has to offer. There are cliffs, eroded rocks and impressive rock formations, as well as views of the sea and beaches.
- Check Out Alfanzina Lighthouse – Alfanzina Lighthouse is well worth a visit during your time in Carvoeiro. Built in 1920, Alfanzina Lighthouse gives an insight into a more historical side of Carvoeiro. It’s open to the public at certain times and there’s a lot of beautiful scenery to enjoy, and you can expect spectacular views on a clear day.
- Try Stand Up Paddleboarding and Explore Local Caves – You don’t have to be a standup paddleboarding expert to enjoy SUP in Carvoeiro. There are a number of classes available, all of which provide you with everything you need to get the most out of your SUP experience. There are a number of caves that are unreachable by boat, but they are reachable by paddleboard. This will give you a look into a side of Carvoeiro that very few other tourists get to experience.
- Head Out on a Boat to Spot Dolphins – Dolphin watching is one of the main things to do in Carvoeiro and it’s a real treat, especially if you haven’t done it before. There are organised trips you can enjoy, and some of them even include a beach BBQ before or after seeing some of the area’s magnificent marine life.
Though the activities listed above are certainly six of the best, that’s not to say that there aren’t a tonne of other incredible things to see and do in Carvoeiro. From the moment you arrive, you won’t struggle to fill your days.
Planning a Day Out in Carvoeiro
As you can see, there is no shortage of things to see and do in Carvoeiro. This is perfect if you are heading to the area for a week or two, as it means you won’t find yourself running out of attractions and activities. Whoever you are travelling with, it’s unlikely that you will end up bored or having to repeat your itinerary. However, this does mean that you could be spoiled for choice when it comes to planning a day out.
When you are planning a day out in Carvoeiro, try to find an activity or attraction that everyone is interested in. For example, if you are travelling as a family, choose to do things that the whole family will enjoy. This could include a relaxing day at Carvoeiro Beach, a visit to the Zoo Marine and Amusement Park, or heading out on a boat to spot dolphins. If you are travelling with friends who like to stay active, an hour or two paddleboarding could be exactly what they are looking for. If you prefer to enjoy a slower pace on holiday, a day wandering the streets of Carvoeiro and sampling the local cuisine could be exactly what you need.
With so many things to see and do in the Algarve, you might want to consider branching out and exploring further afield during your time in Carvoeiro. As a seaside village in the Algarve region, Carvoeiro is in the perfect location for day trips to other nearby villages and towns. You could explore one of the cities, such as Faro or Lagos, or you could venture to Albufeira. If you have hired a car, you won’t struggle to get from one part of the Algarve to another. Even if you don’t have access to a vehicle, you can make sure of the many organised group tours and trips, or navigate public transport.