There are a lot of places to visit in the Algarve, one of which is Carvoeiro. Though Carvoeiro is somewhat similar to other towns within the Algarve, it’s certainly a unique and ‘one of a kind’ location. This is why it’s such a popular spot with holidaymakers, tourists and locals. Though you might know a handful of things about Carvoeiro – such as how it’s home to many of the Algarve’s top beaches and how it boasts a range of popular local restaurants – you might not know too much about this Portuguese town. To ensure you are clued up on the ins and outs of Carvoeiro, we have listed six fun facts below.
6 Fun Facts About Carvoeiro, Portugal
- It’s Home to Some of the Algarve’s Best Beaches – If you know anything about the Algarve, you will know that it’s home to some of the best beaches in Portugal. In fact, it’s often considered to have some of the best beaches in Europe. Many of these can be found in Carvoeiro, which boasts dozens of incredible beaches for tourists to enjoy. As Carvoeiro is a relatively calm town, the beaches are rarely crowded and there is enough space to feel secluded. This is great if you want to sunbathe with privacy, or if you want space for your children to run around safely. Though there are certainly some great beaches in the areas surrounding Carvoeiro, the town is home to unbeatable stretches of coastline.
- It’s Less Than an Hour From Faro Airport – When you are travelling, it’s important to consider how far away you are from the closest airport. After all, you don’t want to be spending half of your first and last day travelling. A lot of people don’t realise just how close Carvoeiro is to Faro Airport, which makes it the ideal place to holiday if you want somewhere with an easy transfer. From Faro Airport, you can be in Carvoeiro within 45 to 50 minutes. You could do this by driving yourself, booking a taxi or taking public transport.
- It’s Ideal For a Calm and Relaxing Beach Holiday – There are a lot of places in the Algarve that are lively, bustling and busy. These places suit some travellers, but others prefer something a little more relaxed. If you are looking for a calm and relaxing beach holiday, Carvoeiro is likely to be the ideal destination. It boasts a lot of what the likes of Albufeira have, but on a much quieter and calmer scale. This is one of the main reasons as to why Carvoeiro appeals to couples and families. You won’t find crazy nightlife and tonnes of entertainment in Carvoeiro, but you will find gorgeous landscapes and quaint hotels.
- It Has a Unique Landscape – There is no denying that a lot of the Algarve looks similar, with many towns and villages looking alike. This is to be expected, and it’s what you will find in the majority of Portuguese regions. However, Carvoeiro stands out as being somewhat different. Carvoeiro has a unique landscape, one that is made up of limestone cliffs and caves. The limestone cliffs have created a one of a kind landscape, one that is both impressive and beautiful.
- It Has a Population of Approximately 2,700 – Compared to the likes of Faro and Albufeira, Carvoeiro has a relatively small population. There are only around 2,700 people currently living in Carvoeiro, and this number is only boosted slightly by tourists during the peak season. With only a small population, Carvoeiro remains to be a calm and quiet place to be. This is what attracts a lot of tourists, those who are looking for a relaxing place to unwind away from the hustle and bustle of city life. For many people, a population of 2,700 is ideal. Carvoeiro firmly falls into the ‘not too big, not too small’ category.
- It’s an Historic Fishing Village – Until Carvoeiro became a place for tourists and holidaymakers, back before the Algarve as a tourist hotspot, the town was a fishing village. Fishing was the key part of Carvoeiro’s economy and the majority of locals made their livelihood fishing. Though tourisming has taken over and now is the main source of income for Carvoeiro, fishing is still a big part of the town. There are still an array of boats to be seen and regular fishing, as well as lots of seafood being served in local restaurants. Though fishing is less important in Carvoeiro, it’s still a part of the town’s past and present.
Now you know the above six facts about Carvoeiro, it’s time to start planning your trip. There is no shortage of things to see and do in Carvoeiro and, as you can see from the facts given above, it’s an interesting and relaxing place to holiday. You only need to spend a minute or two researching Carvoeiro, before you see why so many people choose it as their holiday destination of choice.
Why You Should Choose Carvoeiro as Your Holiday Destination This Summer
There are a lot of reasons to choose Carvoeiro as your holiday destination and, along with many of the other towns within the Algarve region, it’s a popular spot for tourists in the summertime. This is because Carvoeiro has a lot to offer in terms of beautiful beaches, attractions, restaurants and activities. Regardless of who you are travelling with, you won’t struggle to find something to see and do in Carvoeiro.
As Carvoeiro is calmer and more relaxed than some of the other towns in the Algarve, it appeals to those who want a tranquil and slow paced holiday. Though there is a lot to do close by – which is ideal for day trips and ensuring that you see everything the Algarve has to offer – the town itself is the ideal place to relax, unwind and forget about the stress of life at home.