There are a lot of places to visit in Portugal and many of the top Portuguese tourist destinations are located in the Algarve, such as Carvoeiro. Carvoeiro is a municipality in the Algarve region of Portugal and it’s a popular destination for holidaymakers, travellers and tourists. It boasts a number of sandy beaches and coves, with a tonne of local attractions nearby, Carvoeiro and draws in visitors year after year. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that Carvoeiro is aimed at people who are looking for a quiet and relaxing break by the sea, and though it’s ideal for that, it also has a lot to offer families. In fact, it has previously been named one of the best Portuguese coastal towns.
The Popular Coastal Town of Carvoeiro
Carvoeiro is a small fishing village in the south of Portugal. It has a population of around 3,000 and is located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. For many years, fishing was the main focus for the town and the economy relied solely on it, but now tourism is what keeps the town running. Despite the boost in tourism, the history and culture of Carvoeiro is still apparent from the moment you arrive. There are hints of maritime activity dotted around Carvoeiro, and there is a lot to find out about its military presence over the years.
The small town has an abundance of natural beauty with picturesque beaches, lush vegetation and turquoise waters. Carvoeiro has a dry and warm climate, making it an ideal choice for summer holidays and days out. Whether you are heading to Carvoeiro as a family or as a solo traveller, you won’t be disappointed by what the area has to offer. From golf to water spots, from breathtaking beaches to long scenic walks, Carvoeiro has something for everyone. You only have to spend a minute or two researching Carvoeiro to see why it’s the top choice for many people heading to the Algarve.
Top Things To Do in Carvoeiro
In Carvoeiro, you can enjoy the beaches and the natural beauty of the area. The town is full of history and culture, which you can explore by visiting its many museums or enjoying a local dish at one of the restaurants. If you are looking for adventure, there are also many hiking trails that take you through the beautiful landscape. Whatever it is you are looking for in the Algarve, Carvoeiro is bound to have something that takes your fancy. To ensure you make the most of your Carvoeiro trip, we have listed some of the top things to do in the local area.
- Visit a Beautiful Beach – Carvoeiro is home to a selection of beautiful beaches, so you won’t find yourself short of choice. Praia do Carvoeiro, Praia de Benagil, Praia de Vale de Centeanes and Praia da Marinha are all popular options. Not only are they beautiful beaches with stretches of gorgeous white sand, but they all have something differ to offer. Some are ideal for families, as they have facilities and activities, whereas others offer a more relaxed and romantic vibe.
- Walk Along the Coast – The seashore in Carvoeiro is perfect for long walks, if you are someone who enjoys spending time outside when you are on holiday. You can enjoy the picturesque views, gorgeous sunsets and breathtaking landscape while you take a stroll along the coastline in Carvoeiro. It’s a great way to see the beauty of Carvoeiro, whilst getting some fresh air and enjoying the warm weather. You can start your morning with a brisk walk or end your day with a relaxing stroll, both of which are possible in Carvoeiro.
- Check Out Monchique – Monchique is a mountain range in Algarve and it offers stunning views of Carvoeiro, as well as many other villages around it. Visiting Monchique is a wonderful way to check out another side of Carvoeiro, with views you can only see from a height. The hike up to Monchique takes an hour or so, so it’s certainly not for anyone who doesn’t enjoy a long walk. However, the views are worth it once you reach the top.
- Visit Carvoeiro’s Caves – One of the most popular things to do in Carvoeiro is visit Algar Seco, a natural monument of rock formations. These have been sculpted by the wind and they are a sight to behold. Algar Seco boasts natural poles, rock holes and impressive rock formations. It’s something completely unique to Carvoeiro.
- Take a Trip to Alfanzina Lighthouse – Built in 1920 and located on Praia do Carvoeiro, the Alfanzina Lighthouse is well worth checking out. It was once used to guide ships and fishermen, but it’s now a popular spot for tourists to visit. It’s surrounded by beautiful scenery and showcases a slightly different side to the Algarve. At certain times, visitors can go inside the Alfanzina Lighthouse and look around.
- Relax in Restaurants and Bars – There is certainly no shortage of restaurants and bars in Carvoeiro, so you won’t find yourself short of choice. Carvoeiro is a great place to sample local dishes, cuisines and delicacies. Portugal is well known for having delicious food and wine, and Carvoeiro has a lot to offer. There’s everything from casual restaurants for families to five star dining options for those who want something a little more special.
As you can see, there is a lot to see and do in Carvoeiro. Whether you are heading to the Algarve as a family or as a couple, as a group or as a solo traveller, Carvoeiro is well worth heading to. It has everything you could want in a holiday destination including beautiful beaches, lots of restaurants and culture. It doesn’t matter if you are looking to spend your holiday relaxing at the beach and topping up your tan, or exploring the history and culture of the Algarve, Carvoeiro is sure to tick every box.